The Obelisk of Arles - France
The Obelisk of Arles ("Arles Obelisk" or Obélisque d'Arles in French) is a 4th century Roman obelisk, erected in the center of the Place de la République, in front of the town hall of Arles.
The obelisk is made of red granite from Asia Minor. It does not feature any inscription. Its height together with its pedestal is approximately 20 m.
The obelisk was first erected under the Roman emperor Constantine II in the center of the spina of the Roman circus of Arles. After the circus was abandoned in the 6th century, the obelisk fell down and was broken in two parts.
It was rediscovered in 1389. Its re-erection in its current location was completed on March 26, 1676, on top of a pedestal designed by Arlesian architect Jacques Peytret.
A fountain was added at its base during the 19th century, together with bronze sculptures by Antoine Laurent Dantan.
The obelisk was listed on the 1840 inventory of historic sites in France. It is part of a 1981-designated UNESCO world heritage site, the Arles, Roman and Romanesque Monuments!