Quick guide of Arles France
Quick guide of Arles France
The city of Arles in France
Arles is a French city, located in the department of the Bouches-du-Rhône and the area of Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur in France. The city is crossed by the Rhône river and is located between Nîmes (27 km in the west) and Marseilles (80 km in the east).It is the largest commune of Metropolitan France.
This city, whose inhabitants are called "Arlésiens" in French , has indeed more than 2500 years of history. Remarkable monuments were built during Antiquity at the Roman time, to visit absolutely while your journey.
- Population: 52,400 (in 2009)
- Names of the inhabitants: Arlésiens, Arlésiennes (Arlesian in English)
- Density: 69 /km² (180 /sq mi)
- Postal code: 13200
- Language: French
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- Opening hours: Usually 9 a.m. to 12 and 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday with some variations. Shops are often closed on Sunday and Monday, restaurants on Monday. Shopping centres and many large stores do not close for lunch.
- Average daily January temperature in Arles: max:11°C / min: 9°C
- Average daily July temperature in Arles: max: 31ºC /min: 19°C (see Arles weather today)
- Emergency numbers: 112 all emergencies / 17 local police / 15 medical emergencies
Getting to Arles
- Where is Arles in France?
- The easiest way to get to Arles is by airplane to Marseille then rent a car to get to Arles or by train from Marseille to Arles.
- By train take the TGV to Avignon TGV or Marseille then take another train to Arles’s Station or a bus. To get an idea Paris is only 2 hours 45 from Avignon in TGV!!
Moving around – Transportation
- Walking: as Arles is quite a little city for its historical area , walking is the best way to visit the Old Town and city centre.
- Car rental: as soon as you went to go out of the city is really easier to rent a car in Arles. Camargue for example could not be discovered another way than by car even though we offer tours and sightseeing of all the area. Renting a car will also allow you to visit beautiful cities next to Arles like : Avignon, Les Beaux-de-Provence, Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, Nîmes, Les Saintes-Maries de la Mer.. From 15 minutes to half an hour from Arles!!
What to visit in Arles?
Arles is known for the wealth of its Roman and Romanesque heritage. These monuments have been listed as Unesco World Heritage Sites since 1981. This include:
- The Roman theater
- Arles Amphitheater
- The Alyscamps (Roman necropolis)
- The Thermae of Constantine
- The Cryptoportico
- The Obelisk
But Arles is also known for its museumsamong whom we advise you to visit first:
- Arles Museum of Antiquity to see the oldest known bust of Julius Caesar discovered lately..
- Réattu Museum: Contemporary art, Picasso Collection and photographic collection
Things to do in Arles
- A stay in Arles without visiting the outside market would be a terrible mistake:-) Market days are Wednesday and Saturday.. Saturday outside market being one of the most important market of the aera, we hope you would be there on a Saturday!
- Shopping is obligatory as well.. To many things to buy for present or souvenir.. Often not expensive things like, lavender, typical shirts and hats, wine, cheese… See our selection of shops in Arles
- How to pay: most people pay in cash or with a credit card - With card sometimes you must show your passport or identity card.
- Arles is known world widely for Les Rencontres de la Photo :The International Photography Festival, every first week of July for the festival and till the end of September for the exhibitions..
- Mid July do not miss as well Les Suds à Arles: Suds Music Festival: one week of music, concerts, workshops, classes and master classes!!
- Feria de Pâques and Feria du Riz: The traditional "Feria " of Arles, are held from Easter ("Feria de Pâques") up to the end of September Feria du Riz
- More events in Arles ...
Where to eat?
Restaurants at low-cost 15-25€
Grand Café Malarte One comes to Le Malarte at the end of the morning every saturdays to take a Pastis after the outside Market.But Le Malarte is not only a beautiful sunny terrace, it is a true bistrot..
Address : 2, Boulevard des Lices - Phone : 00 33 (0)4 90 49 99 86
Average cost restaurants from 25€ to 50€
Le Galoubet is the favourite restaurant of known people coming to Arles. During ferias and Les Rencontres de la Photo it’s the place to be for great fun and dishes...
Address 18, Rue du Docteur Fanton - Phone : 00 33 (0)4 90 93 18 11
Le Bistrot d'à côté. Next to his famous Atelier the 2 stars chef Jean-Luc Rabanel opened le “Bistrot d’à côté”. Same siprit and same “bio” vegetables but for an bistrot cuisine, absolutely simple and delightful!
Address : 21 rue des Carmes - Phone : +33 04 90 47 61 13
Gastronomical restaurants over 50€
La Chassagnette is one of the most recommended restaurants in Arles. In fact it’s located 15 miles away from the city centre but it really worth it make this short way by car.
Address : Route de Sambuc - Phone : +33 4 90 97 26 96
L'Atelier de Jean-Luc Rabanel Jean Luc Rabanel is known in France for being the first “Bio chef” or “green chef” : he uses vegetables in more than 80% of its dishes.
Address : 7 rue des Carmes - Phone : + 33 (0)4 90 91 07 69
- More restaurants in Arles...
Recommended Hotels by budget
Hotels 150€ and UP / per night for 2 persons
Grand Hôtel Nord-Pinus - Place Du Forum, Arles 13200
Located in central Arles, near the amphitheatre, the convent and the Church St-Trophime, the Grand Hôtel Nord-Pinus is full of character. This stylish and vibrant hotel features beautifully decorated rooms. Colours and light have been used to create a soft and nostalgic atmosphere at the Grand Hôtel.
Hôtel Jules César - 9 Boulevard Des Lices, Arles 13200
Formerly a Carmelite convent, Hôtel Jules César has been turned into a charming hotel with modern comfort. Fully air-conditioned, the spacious foyer, the rooms, the apartments and the dining-room are all decorated with cloth from Provence, antique or rustic furniture, so that from the moment you...
Hotels from 80€ to 150€ / per night for 2 persons
Hôtel d'Arlatan - 26 rue du Sauvage Bp 60 109, Arles 13631
Located in the heart of the historic part of Arles, few steps away from the Rhone River, this hotel offers a successful balance between the charms of a historical monument and the modern comfort of a traditional accommodation. The Arlatan hotel welcomes you in a warm setting. In the heart of the historical..
Hôtel Du Forum - 10, Place Du Forum, Arles 13200
Located in the heart of the old town, Hotel du Forum welcomes you in an elegant and renovated family house offering a charming and peaceful atmosphere. The hotel features comfortable rooms with a simple and pleasant decor. The central location of the hotel makes it the perfect base from which to enjoy..
- More Hotels in Arles
What to see outside Arles?
We offer about 45 activites, tours and sightseeing around Arles like: Le Grand tour de Provence, Visiting Orange, Les Baux de Provence, Camargue tour…